If you would like to sell a phone, laptop, tablet, or other device, but would like to know how to completely wipe it first, here’s how:
Firstly, make sure you’ve backed up things like your photos, other important files, and WhatsApp chats. Next:
- Type “Reset” into the Start search box and select “Reset this PC”. If this option doesn’t show, look in “Settings” under the “Recovery” tab.
- To wipe all storage drives, on the next page, click “Change Settings” and change the Data Erasure slider to “On”.
MacBooks and Macs
- Reset the system and press the Command + R keys together to load the recovery menu.
- Select “Disk Utility” (the system drives will be displayed).
- Right-click and select Delete on each applicable drive apart from the MacOS install partition.
- Return to the Recovery menu or reset and use the Command+R shortcut from a fresh start-up, and select Install MacOS.
- Press Ctrl, Alt, Shift, and “R” together from the login screen to bring up the “Powerwash” box, or, from “Settings”, select “Advanced” and scroll down to “Powerwash”.
iPhones and iPads
- Go to the “Settings” menu, then the General sub-menu.
- Use the Reset option, and the “Erase All Content and Settings” control. To do this, you will need to use your Apple ID password.
Android Phones and Tablets
- Go to the “System” part of “Settings” and find ‘Reset Options’.
- Choose “Erase All Data” (Factory Reset), or similar and follow the prompts. You will need your unlock PIN.
Visit our contact us page
Or call 020 8778 7759
Back to Tech News